Tuesday 18 February 2014

Miniviews #3: Of Poseidon, This is What Happy Looks Like & These Broken Stars


Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Publication Date: May 1st, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 324
Series: The Syrena Legacy
Source: Purchased
Rating: 3/5
I know a lot of readers who have this problem, but I've yet to come across a mermaid book that I love. It's really pissing me off. It wasn't the story that threw me off here, because I did enjoy the general premise of Banks mermaids. It was that it feel into a lot of the YA traps. Insta-love, Bella Swan type female, alpha male, star-crossed lovers, white washing, sexism, etc... I did find myself LOL'ing though. And having met Banks in person, I can confirm that she is extremely hilarious. So it was nice to see that come through in the writing. It did end on a bit of a cliff-hanger, and honestly I didn't see that twist coming(which is very obvious once revealed). So I am looking forward to continuing on.


This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
Publication Date: April 2nd, 2013
Publisher: Headline
Pages: 416
Source: Purchased E-book
Rating: 4/5
Awwww...Seems to be the best way to describe a Smith book. I definitely need those light hearted reads every once in awhile. I'm happy to have found another author I can turn to into those times. This is What Happy Looks Like starts with a miss-sent email. Which than turns into an online relationship this two teens end up sharing. They feel they can tell each other anything, because they'll probably never meet in real life. Of course both of them are keeping secrets. One a very big one, he's a huge movie star. When our young lovers do meet, finally, a lot of crap gets in there way. I really liked how Smith dealt with the uncertainty in both Graham's and Ellie's lives. Graham hates that he's in the spot light, he just wants a normal life. He loves being an actor, but not what he has to sacrifice to stay one. He's relationship with his parents, his privacy,etc... I liked that he wasn't soaking up the spot light, he was a little emotional about his life. Also with Ellie, when she found out who Graham actually was, she had a little O.M.G. heart flutter, because he's a movie star. But that quickly changed into uncertainty about being involved in his life and what that would entitle. She's trying to keep her life low-key for a reason. Their relationship progressed and changed, without the insta-love.


These Broken Star by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Publication Date: December 10th, 2013
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Pages: 374
Series: Starbound
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5/5
This was one of my most eagerly anticipated releases of 2013. And what a relief it was that I loved it. Space Opera's are my thing. These Broken Stars offered more than just the romance. At it's heart, this book is a survival story. Lilac and Tarver are from totally different classes, but when I think about it, not totally different people. They're both trying to live up to something, be good enough and who they're supposed to be to their families. Their relationship is rocky to start with. Trust is an issue. Be hell they've just crashed onto to an unfamiliar planet. A planet I would not want to find myself on. Shit is crazy. What is real? Who the hell knows! Totally engrossing, romantic sci-fi thriller. So many twists and turns. Especially in the last quarter of the book. Did not see that coming! I am so excited to continue on with this companion series. What else can Amie and Meagan throw at us?

Happy reading!

Brittany




3 comments:

  1. I've still to get around to reading Of Poseidon. I don't actually know if I've ever read any mermaid books. I'm glad to hear that the story is great and hilarious, but that sucks about the main character and the insta-love. Insta-love tends to ruin most books.
    'Awwww' is really that only way I can describe TiWHLL as well! It's so freaking adorable! I adored Ellie and Graham's relationship <3
    These Broken Stars was just perfect and amazing, wasn't it? I almost died when I read that last twist. Seriously, I was just so shocked and broken after that! But holy crap did Spooner & Kaufman do a fantastic job.
    Great mini reviews!

    ReplyDelete