Friday 7 February 2014

Miniviews #2: Wallbanger, Charm and Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography

Wallbanger(Cocktail #1) by Alice Clayton
Publication Date: November 27th, 2012
Publisher: Omnific Publishing
Pages: 384
Series: Cocktail
Source: Kindle purchase
Rating: 3/5
By the title of this book I'm sure you can automatically tell what kind of read this was. And it is that. A super cheesy read. But it was funny. I LOL'd quite a bit. I'm sure that was what Clayton was going for. This book is far from being serious. Just something very light about a girl looking to find her "O" again. And when a hot neighbour boy moves in, of course shenanigans ensue. Her close girlfriends start dating his boys. Well the two of them are walking on eggshells around their feelings for each other. Good summer read. I'm actually looking forward to the follow up in the fall.


Charm(Tales from the Kingdom #2) by Sarah Pinborough
Publication Date: July 18th, 2013
Publisher: Gollancz
Pages: 224
Series: Tales from the Kingdom
Source: Purchased
Rating: 4/5
I'll admit to this one being a total cover buy. I was walking around Chapters and spotted these beauties(there's three in the series). So I read the quick blurb, a Cinderella re-telling, and was sold. And my wondering and cover buy totally paid off. This re-telling is pretty close to the original, but with a darker undertone. Cinderella's family dynamic is a little different, but she's still the one doing the cleaning. She's also obsessed with the prince. And she goes about it in selfish ways to meet him. She's pretty naive. And the prince is a pretty horrible guy. Actually most of the characters aren't who they seem to be. Overall I really enjoyed this re-telling. I kind of hated the characters you come to love in the Disney version. And felt sorry for the characters you come to hate in the Disney version. So that's always fun.


Publication Date: October 24th, 2013
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Pages: 416
Source: Borrowed
Rating: 4/5
Untied have been my team since I was born. And I will remain a Red for life(even after this season...). So I was extremely excited to get my hands on this book. Fergie is one of my heroes. What he did for United is incredible. And we miss him. But anyways, this book gives you insight into a lot of his coaching decisions over the years. And not just the United years. Like why he got rid of this player. Or why he didn't buy this player. There's also chapters on Keane, Beckham, Rooney, Ronaldo etc... The big players that have caused some big headlines. My favourite chapter was the Class of '92. Those boys will forever be some of my all time favourite soccer players. There's also chapters on his life and some of the bigger managers in the EPL(Jose, Arsene, etc...). I really enjoyed reading about what went through his head and how he got to be as successful as he is. The only reason I couldn't give it a 5 is because he'd go off on a lot of random tangents, which would take away from the point he was trying to make. I quickly learned to get over it. I think this is a book any United or soccer fan would enjoy. Like I said, it's quite interesting to get inside the head of one of the most successful managers in the world.



Happy reading!

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment