Tuesday 15 October 2013

Review: Escaping Reality (The Secret Life of Amy Bensen #1) by Lisa Renee Jones

Escaping Reality by Lisa Renee Jones

Publication Date:
July 22nd, 2013
Publisher: Julie Patra Publishing
Pages: 250
Series: The Secret Life of Amy Bensen
Source: Netgalley
Rating: 2/5
Add to Goodreads

Infinite possibilities...
Infinite passion...
Infinite danger...

His touch spirals through me, warm and sweet, wicked and hot. I shouldn't trust him. I shouldn't tell him my secrets. But how do I not when he is the reason I breathe? He is what I need.

At the young age of eighteen, tragedy and a dark secret force Lara to flee as she has known and loves to start a new life. Now years later, with a new identity as Amy, she's finally dared to believe she is forgotten-even is she cannot forget. But just when she lets down her guard, the ghosts of her past are quick to punish her, forcing her back on the run.

On a place, struggling to face the devastation of losing everything again and starting over, Amy meets Liam Stone, a darkly entrancing recluse billionaire, who is also a brilliant and famous, prodigy architect. A man who knows what he wants and goes after it. And what he wants is Amy. Refusing to take "no" as an answer, her sweeps her into a passionate affair, pushing her to her erotic limits. He wants to possess her. He makes her want to be possessed. Liam demands everything from her, accepting nothing less. But what if she is too devastated by tragedy to know when he wants more the she should give? And what if there is more to Liam than meets the eyes?

The thing about this review is, I don't want to write it. It's not like it gives me pleasure to write a negative review. And I know I'm not going to love every book I read. But I did request this book to review, so it makes me feel sad knowing I have to send this into the publisher. Alas, how was I to know this book just wouldn't be for me?

Let's start off with the positive. This book was a lot more of a thriller than I was expecting. Amy is basically on the run. Her family was murdered a few years ago, but she got away. So now this unknown person(s) is after her. The weird thing about her situation is that she's not the one orchestrating her new identity. She has this sort of handler (whom she's never met or has any idea who they are) who contacted her right after her family was killed and told her to run. They set up a new life for her and has been doing so every time this unknown killer is on to her new location. Weird and interesting? Totally. Of course that means Amy is lonely, kind of a recluse and suspicious of everyone. And that's what I think Jones did the best in this book; the suspicion. It was really the only thing that kept me reading. I was definitely right there with Amy, feeling distrustful of everyone she met.

Now the hard stuff. Firstly, I didn't really enjoy the writing. It was super cheesy and simple. I found myself rolling my eyes a little to often.
Amy is another Bella Swan character. Nothing distinguishable about her. I have no idea what she looks like. She was faceless in my imagination. Her personality, what little there was of one, was blah. She's pretty much an idiot. She's suspicious of everyone yet so trusting of people she shouldn't be at the same time. That obviously doesn't make sense. And I'm as confused as you are...
And than there's the romance. Girl shares look with boy at airport. Girl sits next to boy on airplane. Girl pretends she doesn't want boy following her up to her apartment. Girl has best night of her life. And BAM it's love! *rolls eyes*
Liam Stone is your typical dark and handsome, overbearing jackass. And of course he's a young billionaire prodigy. He keeps to himself. Doesn't do relationships. Only one nighters. And shocker, he goes all dom on Amy (which of course isn't limited to the bedroom). He's throwing money at her left, right and center. Even though she continually tells hims she doesn't want it. But he just wants to take care of her, so obviously she should suck it up and just let him take care of her.
There was a part towards the end where Amy was in a bar having a drink waiting on a girlfriend when her male neighbour notices her and comes over. Douchebag eventually texts her to see where she is, she tells him. And lo' and behold guess who walks in exactly when she is having a sip from her neighbours beer. He uses his deep angry voice telling her it's time to go. Amy does at least have the common sense to be embarrassed, but she still follows him out of the bar. And eventually forgives him because he was having a bad day. Are you effing joking me?! There is no way in hell someone would be allowed to talk to me like that and get away with it! I won't even get into the pregnancy scare or that within a day or two of knowing each other he tells her that he's going to set up a doctors appointment so she can go on the pill ASAP. She's a moron and he's an asshole. Perfect relationship ensues...

Surprisingly after all that I actually want to read the sequel. This one leaves off on a cliff-hanger. Nothing is sorted out. You actually have more questions at the end. So I need to have closure there. I'll have to use my trusty skim reading skills to get me by.

Happy reading!

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment