Tuesday 24 September 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Sequels Ever!


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This weeks topic is:

Top Ten Best Sequels Ever!


There is a lot of sequels that don't come close to comparing to their predecessor. But there are also a ton of sequels that outshine the series starter. That's why making this list was hard. Picking ten, even just within 2013, was near impossible. So that's why I left out Harry Potter. It's pretty obvious for 99% of the world that HP just got better as the books went on (my favourite is Prisoner of Azkaban, just an FYI). I'll just state that now, nothing will ever compare to Harry. :)
This reading year is definitely clouding my judgement. Seven of the below were all read this year. Here are my picks!




Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins- This is one of my all time favourite trilogies and CF is just ridiculously brilliant. Action packed, twists, a bunch of fantastic new characters. Probably one of my favourite books too.





 

Insurgent by Veronica Roth- I know a lot of people disliked this book but I effing loved it. Of course I think Divergent is pure genius and some how Insurgent just got better. I loved the story more as well as Tris and Four. They may be one of my favourite couples when together, but they are both just as strong apart.






Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare- Just !!!!!!! This is one of the best last books in a series I've read. It couldn't have been a better, more perfect ending. I read it the day it came out and then started the trilogy over as soon as I was done. And it still made me have all the feels. Just pure love.


Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas- I honestly didn't think I could love this series anymore after reading Throne of Glass last year. But apparently I was wrong. This book just became more badass. Fantasy is my thing and after reading CoM, I have no doubt this series will become tops for me. Plus there's a lot more Chaol. Mmmmm....







The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan- By far Riordan's strongest book. The wait between Son of Neptune and MoA wasn't so bad. But because of how awesome and frustrating (can anyone say cliff hangar) MoA was. The wait for House of Hades has been excruciating (so close!). That's the mark of a great book.






Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta- Looking for some brilliant high fantasy? The Lumatere Chronicles is that. And again, another sequel that amazed me in that I loved it even more then the already amazing first book. How genius are some authors! Guh!







Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo- S&S actually made me appreciate the first book, Shadow and Bones, even more. I liked were the story line went and I thought Alina was spot on in her actions. Also there may have been a new character introduced that helped sway my rating of this book.








 Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead- I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed the Vampire Academy series. It was really fun and full of action. And a snarky, kickass main character. But Shadow Kiss was the only five star rating from me out of the six books. It was by far the strongest book. Just awesomesauce!





Spark by Brigid Kemmerer- Oh the reason I live; the Merrick brothers. Those boys would drive anyone to drink, but you can't help but love them. Gabriel. Gabriel.Gabriel. The misunderstood bad  boy who also happens to control fire. Yea, if that doesn't say hot then I don't know what's right in this world.






Scarlet by Marissa Meyer- Fairytale re-tellings with a Sci-Fi twist! I was signed up long before this series started to be published. I loved Cinder, but I adore Scarlet and Wolf even more. And what I appreciate even more is that these books will eventually follow all four main characters and be woven together to complete the big picture.






What are your favourite sequels ever? Let me know!

Happy reading!

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment